Zerodha with a unique name and meaning, Zero + rodha (Barrier in English) is emerging as the single largest discount broker in India. The reason Zerodha becoming the most popular broker is due to providing “the best online trading platform in India“, “low brokerage and high exposure“, “free direct mutual fund investment platform” and “efficient customer support.”
In just a short span of time (9+ years) Zerodha top the list to become the number one share broker in India in terms of active clients. Zerodha offerings and support is growing day by day and the best in class.
The main investing activities offered by Zerodha are trading in equity, equity F&O, commodity, currency on NSE, BSE, MCX and MCX-SX and investment in Direct Mutual Funds through SIP and lump-sum, ETFs, Government securities, and bonds.
Zerodha offers free trading in equity delivery and charges a low brokerage of Rs 20 or .03% whichever is lower for trading in equity Intraday, F&O, currency, and commodity.
The Demat services provided are of being a DP of CDSL. Additionally, there is NRI trading facility at Rs 200 or .1% per order whichever is lower for equity delivery and Rs 100 per order for equity F&O.
Zerodha Mutual Fund Investment
This is the first broker in India to offer a Direct Mutual Fund investment facility to its customers for free.
The scheme is offered by their online platform called “COIN” (coin.zerodha.com”).
In this, you can invest in direct mutual fund schemes that give you better returns compared to regular mutual fund schemes. Basically, there is no commission going to the brokerage house from your mutual fund investment.
Zerodha Account Opening Process and 3-in-1 Account
You can instant open account with them with your Aadhar card. The benefits of 3-in-1 account is offered in tie-up with IDFC First bank in the form of Zerodha-IDFC FIRST Bank 3-in-1 account.
The modus operandi of the account – a single account inclusive of trading, DEMAT and bank account for seamless and hassle-free online banking and investing experience. It has now become the trading and self-clearing member to give clients the benefit of no clearing charges. Moreover, Zerodha provides cover order and bracket order (CO/BO) with trailing stop loss feature for equity and F&O.
Zerodha Marketing Strategy
Zerodha Reward programs like a 60-day challenge, refer a friend and Get an Affiliate link gives you an opportunity to get some rewards. You can have the most advanced and in-house trading platforms across desktop, web and mobile app of them.
Kite 3.0 is their in-house, state-of-art web-based trading platform also available in the mobile app. PI is the advance feature-rich software-based trading platform of Zerodha. They also offer third-party plug-in tools like Smallcase, Sensibull, Streak, StockReports+ for that extra support. These are the paid services though. Investment options for Buyback, IPO, FPO and OFS (Offer for sale) are available online with Zerodha which is making Zerodha not only a broker but also as aFinTechCompany.
Zerodha Customer Support and Learning Information
- Console – It is a back office portal of Zerodha for viewing your portfolio holdings, P&L and contract notes. It is a central reporting and trading dashboard of Zerodha to place withdrawal request and view account statements. It can be accessed directly from Kite. Available at “https://console.zerodha.com”.
- Zerodha support portal – Users can create a direct ticket on Zerodha Support Portal. There is a FAQ bank on most of the topics and to further ask a question you need to select a relevant topic or FAQ. Available at “https://support.zerodha.com”.
- Zerodha Varsity – Free, online, interactive education module on investing and trading by experts. Available at “https://zerodha.com/varsity/”. Now Varsity is also available in mobile app with relevant exams.
- z-connect – Blog for announcing all the updates by Zerodha. Available at “https://zerodha.com/z-connect/”.
- TradingQ&A – Active trading forum to discuss any and all topics related to trading, stock market, Zerodha products and platforms supported through participation by users of Zerodha. Available at http://tradingqna.com
- YouTube channel – Video channel on YouTube to view all the videos related to Zerodha. Available at “https://www.youtube.com/user/zerodhaonline.
With high-class technology, unique trading tools, and three-way trading platform, Zerodha is giving its clients an edge in trading and decision making. Pioneer in introducing low brokerage scheme, Zerodha manages to satisfy both casual and active investors.
- ₹0 equity investments (Free Trading). Flat ₹20 Intraday and F&O trades.
- No minimum balance required for account opening.
- Direct Mutual Fund Investment for free with Zerodha Coin.
- 3-in-1 Account offered in tie-up with IDFC First Bank.
- Free fund transfer using UPI (Unified Payments Interface).
- Instant account Opening linked with AADHAAR. For trading only account, no paperwork, for demat and nominee declaration you need to sign POA forms and submit via courier.
- Margin against shares (MAS) over approved securities and ETFs available for trading in equity and currency F&O segment.
- Innovative and unique trading tools – SPAN Calculator, algoZ, Option Strategy, Market Monitor, etc.
- First discount broker providing NRI services.
- Sensibull Options Strategy platform by Zerodha.
- StockReports+ – Research Report from Thomson Reuters available with Zerodha on paid basis.
- Invest in Government Securities, Bonds and T-bills through Zerodha Coin.
- Zerodha being self-clearing member so no clearing charges applied.
- 1+ million clients. 10% of daily retail trading volumes across NSE, BSE, MCX. Number #1 broker in India in terms of active clients.
- Zerodha PI is the most advanced trading platform introduced by Zerodha.
- Zerodha KITE 3.0, is a lightweight, low bandwidth, multi-language web based trading platform.
- Does provides facility to online invest in IPO via Zerodha Kite.
- Zerodha E-Mandates – Mutual Fund SIP with automated recurring fund transfer in your trading/MF account.
- Call and trade is not free.
- Margin against shares facility is not available for equity cash segment.
- Zerodha as of now is not offering Margin Trading Funding. This is a big limitation for traders where they need to borrow some money from broker on interest for short span of time.